CREAW is inviting applications from individuals for the following position:
Job Title: Legal Assistant
Duty Station: Nairobi
Reporting to the Legal Officer and to provide, programmatic leadership, technical and implementation of the access to Justice Program in a professional, efficient and effective manner.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducting mediation and drafting Parental Responsibility Agreements
- Client intake, screening and interviewing
- Carrying out research work necessary for finding out pertinent information towards implementation of various projects under the program.
- Drafting court documents, pleadings and other legal instruments.
- Conducting mediation forums, filing of court documents and date fixing
- Attending and representing the organization in meetings and also making presentations on its behalf once assigned to do so.
- Attending court to hold briefs & watch brief
- Provide legal advice to women on matters concerning Women and Child Human rights, Gender based violence and other areas of local and international law
- Provide legal representation to women and children before various institution and platforms in courts of law, police stations, chiefs’ offices among others
- Analyzing, critiquing and/or simplification of bills and legislation affecting women’s and children human rights
- Prepare /quarterly reports of the cases handled by the Access to Justice program under the Gender Based Violence.
- Prepare, in a timely manner, materials for both internal and external use including reports, action materials, and submissions to be made in different forums.
- Coordination of research under the access to justice program.
- Ensuring timely and regular reporting on the project implementation to the immediate supervisor and the development partners.
- Any other duty that may be assigned from time to time to further the vision and mission of CREAW
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND PERSONALITY DESIRED:-
1) A degree in law (Admission to the Bar as an Advocate is preferable)
2) At least 3 years proven litigation experience in Family law and sexual & gender based violence.
3) Fluent in spoken and written English and Swahili.
4) Proven writing/ drafting, communication and analytical skills.
5) A good understanding of women’s and children’s human rights issues and a commitment to women’s rights.
6) Ability to organize, plan and prioritize activities.
7) Proven ability to lead a team under program
8) Demonstrate skills in computer applications and data entry
1) Must have demonstrated interest in women and children matters and a good understanding and appreciation of the plight of the women.
2) Proficiency in Microsoft office skills.
3) Good report writing skills.
4) Working experience in project implementation and evaluation will be highly desirable.
5) Must be able to work comfortably and effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to establish and maintain constructive working relations in multi –cultural environment.
6) Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision.
Those who qualify and are interested should send (or deliver) an application letter, curriculum vitae (CV) providing details of three work related referees and copies of relevant certificates & testimonials to:
CENTRE FOR RIGHTS EDUCATION AND AWARENESS – CREAW
Tel/fax: 0720 357 664
P.O. BOX 35470 –00100 GPO
NAIROBI – KENYA
APPLY NO LATER THAN 23rd January 2018
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted directly.
CREAW is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CREAW considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
CREAW does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
CREAW does not use agencies for its recruitment process