TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR CONSULTANCY TO CARRY OUT BASELINE SURVEY IN KILIFI AND MERU
ON THE GENDER BASED VIOLENCE PROJECT: HAKI YETU, JUKUMU LETU
Job Title: Baseline consultant
Duty Station: Nairobi
Closing date: 9th January 2017
Centre for Rights Education and Awareness (CREAW) is national, women human rights non – governmental organization based in Nairobi and whose mission is to expand and actualize women’s rights while its vision is a transformed and just. CREAW’s work is grounded on the following core values and behaviours: integrity; professionalism; passion; innovativeness; and synergy.
In the theory of change, CREAW believes that social transformation can happen through a shifting of social norms and practices that curtail the realization of women’s rights. This is done through legislative and policy advocacy, activism, public awareness, public interest litigation and innovative research. The desired change should be evident in attitudes, knowledge, skills, and levels of awareness, behavior and health at personal, family, communal and societal levels.
In CREAW’s views, change requires a catalyst. As that catalyst, CREAW sees its role as lying in: Civic engagement, mentorship, dismantling patriarchy, seeking accountability at all levels, awareness raising, working through smart networks and movement building, broadening and deepening knowledge, inclusiveness and constant innovation.
CREAW’s programs are thus anchored on enthusiastic sensitization and advocacy to support the interest of the constituents who are the women and children of Kenya. These programs include; Access to Justice for disadvantaged women and children, Policy and Legislative reforms, Governance and Leadership and Economic empowerment of women.
CREAW programs aim to:-
1. Create public awareness and sensitize society on women’s rights; to respect, defend and uphold women human rights as well as promote equal rights of women.
2. Promote the opportunities for women in the political and educational fields as well as in industry, business and in their professions.
3. Generate new knowledge through innovative research and to reform policy and debate on women human rights.
4. Strengthen institutional capacity to perform its functions.
The objective of the project is to empower women and girls in Kilifi and Meru counties so that they are protected and able to better exercise their right to life, health, dignity, nondiscrimination and education as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Strategies employed by the project include skills building and capacity strengthening as well as public policy advocacy by women led accountability groups; public awareness campaigns, to address citizen apathy and increase demand for accountability of public authorities on implementation of laws and policies that address violence against women and girls; coalition and partnership building with state and non state traditional actors; monitoring reflection and learning forums as well as documentation and dissemination of best practices.
THE PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
CREAW wishes to hire consultancy to carry out a baseline survey that will establish benchmarks against defined project indicators for tracking project progress and measuring intervention results overtime in line with the project’s logical framework. The consultant will be supervised by the Program Manager and will perform the following tasks:
• Provides quantitative and qualitative data per indicator as outlined in the logical framework;
• Provide comparative data on community perceptions on accountability by public authorities implementing Gender Based Violence laws and policies.
• Outline structural, systemic and environmental challenges limiting effective implementation of GENDER BASED VIOLENCE laws in the two counties.
• Outline extent of community apathy in addressing Gender based violence
• Identify the levels of inclusion of women in decision making around addressing gender based violence
• Map out active women led groups and determine their capacities to carry out advocacy on Gender based violence
The baseline information will enable CREAW identify the exact conditions existing at the start of the project and enable us measure the degree and quality of change during project implementation.
1. Detailed work plan, detailed methodology for data collection and analysis, sample size calculations and data collection tools.
2. A draft report on the findings for feedback and comments.
3. A comprehensive final report on the findings including accurately analyzed statistical data
with reasonable statistical power stipulating indicators for project outputs, incorporation of
feedback comments and recommendations.
4. All digital data sets qualitative and quantitative.
5. Facilitate survey data dissemination workshop with duty bearers and stakeholders.
The assignment will commence on January 2017
Role of CREAW
CREAW will be responsible for:
· Providing background information on project to inform survey formulation.
· Holding an inception meeting with the consultant to provide technical support and information on the survey expectations
· Reviewing the draft report and providing specific, and timely feedback
· Facilitating access to the survey respondents
· Management and support throughout the process including approval of the final report
· Professional skills in carrying out baseline surveys
· Excellent analytical and strong communication skills both written and spoken
· Ability to work in a complex environment including travel to Kilifi and Meru
· Ability to work in a team
Education: Masters degree or equivalent in Law, Social Science and related fields.
Experience: Proven previous work experience on carrying out research/surveys.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English & Kiswahili with excellent verbal and written skills
All applicants should include the following:
1. Cover letter
2. A written technical and financial proposal: The technical proposal should include
a) Brief explanation about the consultant with particular emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work including CV and experience of all persons to be involved in the work.
b) Understanding of TOR and the task to be accomplished
c) Proposed methodology / approach the consultant will use
d) Time and time-bound activity schedule
e) Costs per activity line
f) Draft work/implementation plan
g) Organization profile (if it is a company applying) or personal capacity statement
h) Sample of previously surveys/research reports.
The application should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the title of the consultancy in the email subject matter by 9th January 2017.