Job Title: Project Officer
Duty Station: Meru
Closing date: 9th December 2016
Centre for Rights Education and Awareness (CREAW) is national, women human rights non -governmental organization based in Nairobi and whose vision is a transformed and just society. CREAW’s mission is to champion, expand and actualize women human rights. CREAW’s work is grounded on the following core values and behaviours: integrity; professionalism; passion; innovativeness; and synergy.
The Project Officer will implement the project whose main goal is women and girls in Kilifi and Meru counties are protected and able to better exercise their right to life, health, dignity, non discrimination and education as enshrined in the Constitution of Kenya 2010. The project seeks to strengthen women groups and increase accountability of public authorities in Kilifi & Meru counties. The position is based at Meru County with occasional travel to Nairobi.
KEY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Overall coordination, management and implementation of the Gender Based Violence (GBV) policy and accountability activities in Meru County.
- Provide oversight for the project implementation on the project goal, objectives and activities.
- Develop work plans to guide implementation of the project activities and jointly consultation with program officer.
- Identify, mobilize and train women leaders to champion and spear head policy discussions and engage on Gender Based Violence matters in community, county level policy dialogue forums.
- Identify, mobilize and engage male leaders and youth within Meru County to champion women rights and provide space for women voices.
- Support, work, engage and strengthen linkages between the women leaders, women groups, with the county government.
- Support and Engage with women leaders to influence Gender based resource allocation in Meru County.
- Mobilize law enforcers, religious leaders and custodians of culture on community mobilization approaches that address gender based violence (SASA approach!).
- Develop monitoring tools for data collection and reporting on the indicators and ensure proper monitoring of the project.
- Design and produce a range of Information, Education and Communication materials to support awareness raising, advocacy and campaign activities.
- Regularly collect and document success stories that show transformative change.
- Manage and track project budgets in adherence to donor and organizational rules and policies.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports of all project activities and expenditures.
- Represent CREAW in meetings and forums with partners and other stakeholders.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel, work long and irregular hours, including occasional weekends and holidays.
- Undertake full operational responsibility over CREAW’s assets in Meru .
- Must have a Bachelors degree in Social Science or Gender and Development Studies or closely related field. Other qualification in Sexual and gender based violence program management would be desirable.
- Masters qualifications in Social Sciences or related field is an added advantage.
- Demonstrable project management and/or team leading experience
- Have at least four years of relevant working experiences in a non-governmental organization dealing with women’s rights issues, and in particular sexual and gender based violence eradication and support structures for survivors.
- Technical training in project management and proposal development
- Strong writing/editing skills and language capability in both Kiswahili and English.
- Visionary, with strong initiative and ability to work without supervision.
- Excellent oral, presentation and written communication skills with ability to make complex things simple for benefit of others
- Personal commitment to work as reliable, honest and trustworthy team member with ability to work out ways to reduce inefficiency in use of resources.
- Good judgment, tact, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Ability to seek better ways of doing things, making positive suggestions on a way forward in light of challenges even if these fall outside your scope of work.
- Strong computer (word processing) literacy and able to use Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Must be able to work comfortably and effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and to establish and maintain constructive working relations in multi –cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
Those who qualify and are interested should send or deliver an application letter, curriculum vitae (CV) providing details of three work related referees and copies of relevant certificates and testimonials to: email@example.com by 9th December 2016
CREAW IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER